9/22/19 Iowa, Skylurr Patrick

Sophomore midfielder Skylurr Patrick steals the ball away from an Iowa forward. Patrick played all 90 minutes and helped Purdue upset Iowa 1-0 on Sept. 22.

The Purdue soccer team is looking to continue its positive trend against Northwestern University, with a record of 15-6-1 against them, and start a new win streak as it takes on the Wildcats this Thursday.

“(The games against Northwestern) are very competitive games every year,” said head coach Drew Roff.

The Wildcats (4-5-1, 2-1-0 Big Ten) have a strong soccer program, but so does Purdue (6-4-1, 2-2-0). In an effort to get ready for the rest of the season, the Boilermakers have been working on strengthening their defense.

“We have a group that has really come together and play hard for each other and communicate very well with each other,” Roff said.

Roff has called the defense “stingy,” due to the fact that it has not allowed more than two goals in any game this season.

In addition to being strong defensively, the team has become very strong mentally. After two tough losses in Michigan, the Boilers have a stronger attitude as they head into the game.

“We’re really strong mentally. I think we’ve improved, especially in the Michigan game,” said sophomore defender Julia Ware.

The aforementioned losses are not stopping the Boilers as they head into another tough weekend of play against the Wildcats. They have been working on correcting aspects that they can control to prepare themselves to start a new win streak.

“I have no doubt that we are ready to bounce back,” Roff said.