8/22/19 Georgia, Sarah Griffith, Teagan Jones

Sarah Griffith and Teagan Jones celebrate after Griffith’s late-game goal during Thursday’s season opener. Purdue won 1-0.

The Purdue women’s soccer team began the regular season against Southeastern Conference opponent University of Georgia on Thursday night. The teams were locked in a stalemate for more than two-thirds of the game, missing shots and trading turnovers.

When the game seemed to be destined for a draw, one player changed everything in the 83rd minute of play.

Sophomore midfielder Teagan Jones had the ball in Georgia territory before delivering it to her teammate, sophomore midfielder Sarah Griffith.

Griffith shook the defender and created space for herself near the top of the box before stepping up to send the ball into the net, breaking the stalemate and giving Purdue a 1-0 lead.

Following the defeat of Georgia, Purdue kept the train rolling against University of Toledo.

The first half was action-packed, featuring four goals by four different Purdue players.

Junior forward Hannah Melchiorre sneaked the ball past Toledo’s goalie in the 23rd minute of play to kickstart the scoring rampage for Purdue.

Jones notched the second goal in the 34th minute which, less than a minute later, was followed by yet another goal by sophomore midfielder Ally Mussallem.

The 40th minute saw senior midfielder Ena Sabanagic fire a goal into the net to give the Boilers a 4-0 halftime lead.

Not all remained positive for the Boilermakers in the second half, however.

In the 56th minute of play, Griffith went down due to an apparent injury. Coaches and athletic trainers had to remove her from the field, and she did not return to the pitch.

The second half did not feature a goal from either team, leaving the final score 4-0 in favor of Purdue.

Purdue’s 2-0 record to start the season will be put to the test at 4 p.m. on Thursday when the Boilers travel to Chicago to face DePaul University.