9/29/18 Indiana, Hannah Mussallem

Senior defender Hannah Mussallem passes the ball to her teammate during the win over Indiana on Saturday.

After winning in double overtime against Indiana on Saturday, senior midfielder Hannah Mussallem was named Big Ten Player of the Week.

She put four shots up, including one at the keeper, while playing all 105 minutes of the game as a defender.

Having never received this nomination before, Mussallem was shocked when she got the call from head coach Drew Roff on Tuesday telling her the good news.

“It’s good to see that my hard work’s being looked over by the league and other coaches, so that was a nice feeling,” Mussallem said.

She attributes this accomplishment to her consistency and hard work, describing her style of play as “simple and composed.”

Going into double overtime, Purdue (6-3-3, 1-2-2 Big Ten) defeated their in-state rivals after an already prolonged match. After coming off the win, the team felt a confidence boost that has followed into preparations for this weekend’s matches against Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Roff is excited about the team’s first conference win, which came halfway through Big Ten play. He maintained confidence in his team, even though most of the players were in their first Golden Boot match. It was an emotional game, but the team remained composed and stepped up to the challenge to beat Indiana.

“We defend extremely well,” Roff said. “We haven’t given up a lot of goals recently, but we still need to create more chances and finish more chances.”

The goal now is to score before going into overtime. The team has been consistent in challenging their opponents, as proved by going into extra minutes their last five games.

“We’re tired of playing in overtime. We said yesterday, ‘Enough with the overtime games, let’s leave it (at) 90 minutes on the field,’” Mussallem said.

What the Boilers now need to accomplish is creating opportunities and capitalizing upon those opportunities. Roff wants his team to average two goals a game moving forward.

Purdue hosts the Golden Gophers at 7 p.m. Friday night and the Badgers at 1 p.m. Sunday at Folk Field.