9/8/22 Notre Dame, Nicole Kevdzija

Junior midfielder Nicole Kevdzija goes up to head the ball to a teammate.

Purdue's two losses this weekend extended its losing streak to four games. 

The Boilermakers (3-7, 0-3 Big Ten) lost 3-1 to the Spartans (7-1-3, 2-0-1 Big Ten) on Sunday in their attempt to recover from a 5-2 loss to Wisconsin (8-1-2, 3-0 Big Ten) on Thursday.

Purdue has not won a game since defeating Kansas State 2-1 on Sept. 4. The Boilermakers’ losses against the No. 9 Notre Dame and No. 18 Northwestern teams marked the start of their losing streak, which they then failed to break against the Badgers or the Spartans, both unranked conference opponents.

In both of its recent losses, Purdue managed to score the first goal but failed to match the opponent’s scoring throughout the rest of the game.

In their match against Michigan State, the Boilermakers scored first at the 13-minute mark. Junior midfielder Nicole Kevdzija scored off an assist from sophomore midfielder Abigail Roy.

Freshman goalkeeper Kailey Kimball had two saves in the first 11 minutes of the game but let a goal through at the 19-minute mark.

Sophomore forward Gracie Dunaway attempted to respond with a shot on goal, but the ball was saved by the Michigan State goalkeeper. The Spartans followed with four shots in four minutes, all of them off target.

The score remained tied at 1-1 until halftime. Michigan State got ahead early in the second half, scoring two goals 16 minutes in.

A similar story unfolded in the match against Wisconsin. Purdue got ahead just six minutes in off of a goal made by freshman forward Kayla Budish. The Badgers scored twice to take a one-goal lead before half, but the Boilermakers still hung in the game.

Purdue’s chances at snapping its losing streak ended after Wisconsin scored three goals in just around five minutes to take a 5-1 lead. Senior forward Gabby Hollar scored her first Purdue goal with 30 seconds left in the game, but it was too little too late for the Boilers to mount a comeback.