9/6/19 South Carolina Marisa Bova

Sophomore goalie Marisa Bova leaps up to grab the ball away from a South Carolina player. Bova finished with only one save.

The Purdue soccer team walked off the field Friday after their first Boilermaker Challenge Cup game with a score of 0-2 in favor of No. 7 University of South Carolina.

The team had previously never lost a game this season, defeating University of Georgia, University of Toledo, DePaul University and Iowa State University with a total of ten goals while only giving up one.

The Gamecocks scored in irregular fashion. Purdue’s aggressive play resulted in a penalty kick and a free kick for South Carolina. The Gamecocks took advantage of the opportunity and scored on both the free and penalty kick.

The Boilers had almost twice as many shots on goal but could not get the ball into the net. Purdue had nine shots on goal compared to just five from the Gamecocks.

Four different Boilermakers had two shots on goal, including sophomore midfielder Sarah Griffith, sophomore forward Aly Mielke, sophomore midfielder Ally Mussallem and freshman defender Sydney Sparks. All four are underclassmen, a testament to the promising youth in Purdue’s team.

Following the Friday loss, Purdue took to Folk Field Sunday, facing No. 11 University of Kansas. Boilermakers began the game fiercely, taking a 1-0 lead after junior forward Hannah Melchiorre’s shot on goal. She dribbled down unassisted and fired the ball past the Jayhawks’ goalie and in for the goal.

Purdue’s lead lasted late into the second half, until Kansas scored in the 58th minute. Senior forward Katie McClure squeaked a ball past Purdue’s defense, and the Jayhawks got on the board.

The game seemed deadlocked at 1-1 until Kansas scored again in the 84th minute. Sophomore forward Kailey Lane fired the shot that would ultimately win the game for Kansas. The game concluded the Boilermaker Challenge Cup, with Purdue finishing 0-2.