9/6/18 Louisville, Kylie Hase

Sophomore midfielder/forward Kylie Hase sprints down with the ball to the goal. Hase scored in three consecutive games before facing Louisville on Thursday.

Purdue defeated Western Michigan on Sunday, 2-0, after the Boilers dominated the time of possession throughout the game. The first goal came from freshman midfielder Aly Mielke in the 19th minute of the first half. She kicked the goal in following a deflection by the goalkeeper.

In the second half, sophomore midfielder Kylie Hase scored her fifth goal of the season in the 17th minute. The goal came from sophomore defender Sarah Clark’s corner kick, hitting Hase in stride.

The story of the game was the dominance that Purdue showed.

The Boilermakers controlled the ball and the pace of the game almost the entire match. They started off the game aggressively, attacking the Western Michigan Broncos hard and getting the first shot on goal early in the game. With 16 minutes remaining in the first half, the young Boilermaker team had out-shot Western Michigan 10-1.

Freshman goalkeeper Marisa Bova shut out Western Michigan in goal on Sunday, saving the ball multiple times and commanding the defense well.

This Purdue soccer team won its second game in a row to obtain a 5-1-1 record. The Boilermakers beat No. 24 Louisville on Thursday, winning 2-1 with both goals coming in the second half.

In that game, Hase scored to tie the game in the 65th minute while junior midfielder Ena Sabanagic scored the winning strike in the 74th minute.

It was fourth-year head coach Drew Roff’s first ever win against a ranked opponent at Purdue.

The team is also extraordinarily young. There were seven freshman starters in the lineup Sunday, opposed to Western Michigan’s single freshman. Roff, describing the new freshmen, said, “They are undaunted.”

They have played three ranked opponents already this season, losing only one game, to No. 15 South Carolina, 2-1. However, Purdue upset Louisville and drew 1-1 with No. 25 West Virginia.

“Rankings do not matter to them,” Roff said, showing the fearlessness of this year’s team.