10/6/19 Wisconsin, Ena Sabanagic

Senior midfielder Ena Sabanagic passes the ball towards the goal during Purdue's regular-season loss to Wisconsin on Oct. 6. Sabanagic left the game before halftime with a knee injury. 

The Purdue women's soccer team pulled off a big upset this weekend in the first round of the Big Ten tournament.

The No. 8-seed Boilermakers (8-8-3, 3-6-2 Big Ten) defeated the No. 1-seed Wisconsin Badgers (14-3-2, 10-0-1 Big Ten) 1-0 in Madison, Wisconsin. The Boilers were the bottom seed in the tournament.

The lone goal in the match came from senior midfielder Ena Sabanagic in the 44th minute. Sophomore midfielder Skylurr Patrick made a long pass to sophomore midfielder Ally Mussallem in the Wisconsin corner. Mussallem centered it, and Sabanagic tapped it past the Badgers' goalie for the score.

Sabanagic's shot was one of five for Purdue throughout the match, three of which were shots on goal.

Purdue's defense came through to seal the win for the Boilermakers. The Badgers attempted seven shots on goal, all of which were repelled by sophomore goalie Marisa Bova.

With this win, Purdue improves to 12-12-4 against the Badgers since 1999. Earlier in the season, the Boilers lost at home 1-0.

With this win, Purdue will move on to face No. 4-seed Penn State in Piscataway, New Jersey. The Nittany Lions (13-6-1, 8-3-0 Big Ten) defeated Iowa 2-1 this afternoon in their own first-round matchup. The Lions have also defeated the Boilers once this season, winning 2-1 at Folk Field.

Purdue will play Penn State Friday at 11 a.m. at Yurcak Field.