4/5/19 Purdue v Penn State, Lexi Huffman

Senior Lexi Huffman prepares to go to bat during the bottom of the sixth inning.

The Boilermakers were back in action on Wednesday night with a doubleheader against the Indiana Hoosiers in Bloomington, Indiana.

The first game was low scoring, but Indiana squeaked out the win. The bottom of the first inning featured the Hoosiers scoring two runs. Sophomore Maddie Westmoreland hit a double that scored sophomore Taylor Lambert at home. Following Westmoreland’s RBI, junior Katie Lacefield’s single brought freshman Paige Chitwood around the diamond for the run.

The next five innings featured a pitching battle, as neither team was able to score a run. After the fifth inning, Purdue had only three hits throughout the entire game. The Hoosiers had five, but turned the small amount into two runs.

The tide changed in the sixth inning for the Boilers, when senior Jenny Behan homered to left field and put Purdue on the board with a single run.

The Hoosiers came up scoreless in the sixth, giving the Boilers one more shot to tie the game or take the lead in the seventh and final inning.

Purdue, however, could not earn a hit off of senior pitcher Tara Trainer and lost the first game 2-1.

Purdue’s second game saw the Boilers hit the ball successfully, but unable to translate hits into runs. The first inning went scoreless, although both teams put runners on the bases consistently.

In the second inning the game turned into a pitching battle, with both teams quickly picking up three outs. The third and fourth innings followed the same pattern, with each teams’ batting becoming cold as the pitching heated up.

The Hoosiers relied on junior pitcher Emily Goodin during the stretch while Purdue turned to redshirt sophomore Sydney Bates. The two pitchers gave up minimal hits and neither gave up runs for most of the game early on.

The scoreless duel continued into the fifth inning before Indiana exploded on the offensive side. Freshman Juvia Davis scored first for the Hoosiers, before sophomore Grayson Radcliffe and junior Gabbi Jenkins notched RBIs. However, the scoring didn’t end there. Lambert knocked a double down the right field line and scored another, as Indiana took a 4 run lead.

The inning marked the first scoring of the entire game, and Indiana scored 3 of the 4 runs with two outs. Purdue couldn’t retire Indiana, even though it was only one out away from escaping the inning only down 1-0.

The Boilers began to heat up following the inning, as freshman Kasey Wilhoit earned an RBI to give Purdue its first run. The inning ended up being very good for the Boilermakers, as they crawled back and made the game close as Indiana lead 4-3 going into the seventh inning.

Once again the Boilers saw an opportunity to tie the game or take the lead in the top of the seventh inning. Unlike the first game, the Boilers came in clutch. Behan knocked out another home run and tied the game at 4-4.

The game went into extra innings following Indiana going scoreless at the bottom of the seventh inning. The game went until the ninth inning before Purdue took a 5-4 lead and won the game, going 1-1 on the day.

The softball team will be back in action at 6 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 12 at Purdue.