11/16/19 Maryland, Team Huddle

Purdue huddles up before the second match starts. The team dominated the second match, defeating Maryland, 25-15, as the Boilermakers won 3-0 to advance to 18-7. 

The Purdue volleyball team closed out a big weekend at home with wins against Ohio State and Maryland.

In the match against the Buckeyes (14-14, 7-9 Big Ten), the Boilers (18-7, 10-6) fought hard after dropping the first set.

“I was proud of the way that our group recovered because that’s not the first time that’s happened,” head coach Dave Shondell said.

Purdue proceeded to take the next three sets to win the game 3-1. This is the sixth time this season the Boilers have lost the first set to come back and win the next three.

“We’ve always come back and bounced back, and we did that again,” Shondell said.

Statistically, the Boilermakers dominated the Buckeyes by leading in offense and defense. The team logged 10 blocks over Ohio State to cement its defense and aced the Buckeyes six times.

Moving on from its first win of the weekend, the team shifted its focus to the Maryland (13-15, 5-11). The Boilers swept the Terrapins 3-0.

“I thought this team was every bit good offensively, until they made some errors down the stretch,” Shondell said. “They gave us some points right there at the end of (the third set) with about four hitting errors in a row, and that kind of made the difference in that game.”

While playing the Terrapins, the Boilers displayed just how smart they are by mixing up their attacks with off-speed shots to throw the other team off balance.

“Our hitters are smart. They have the ability to hit the crap out of the ball, honestly,” junior defensive specialist Jena Otec said. “They have a bunch of different shots, whether that’s hitting cross, line, mixing it in and I think that’s them trying to keep the other team off balance a little bit.”