11/3/19 Minnesota, Madeline Koch and Dave Shondell

Head coach Dave Shondell talks to freshman outside hitter Madeline Koch during the game against Minnesota on Sunday. Koch recorded five kills and two assisted blocks.

Purdue’s volleyball team lost to the University of Minnesota 3-1 on Sunday.

This loss ended a three-game win streak at home for the Boilers (15-6, 7-5 Big Ten).

“They just made every play they needed to make, they were hitting and digging a lot of balls and blocking some balls,” head coach Dave Shondell said.

This marks the second loss to the Gophers (17-3, 11-1) this season. The Boilermakers were able to match Minnesota point-for-point through the first and fourth set. Both sets saw the lead change ten times. In the third set, Minnesota established a dominant lead early on and was able to keep that lead to win the set.

“We could have done better with their off-speed shots, because they consistently gave us off-speed shots, which we should have turned into points,” junior outside hitter Caitlyn Newton said.

Newton also cited a lack of setter and hitter connection as an issue.

Purdue won the second set with a leading 88% attack percentage and a lead throughout the set. Sophomore outside hitter Grace Cleveland led the team with 16 kills.

“They weren’t as good in game two, and we picked it up a little bit,” Shondell said.

In the fourth set, Minnesota challenged three boundary calls. All three calls were confirmed and brought points to Purdue.

Even though they lost, the Boilers led the game in blocks with 10 blocks in comparison to Minnesota’s eight.

With the postseason approaching, the Boilermakers are looking to quickly move on from Minnesota.

“The match is over and there’s going to be more to play,” Shondell said.