11/16/19 Maryland, Jena Otec

Junior Jena Otec crouches down to save the ball. Otec recorded eight digs as Purdue recorded its eighth 3-0 win of the season. 

The Purdue volleyball team swept Maryland Saturday night in a 3-0 victory.

The No. 16 Boilermakers (18-7, 10-6 Big Ten) took the first and second sets. The second set came to the team easily as they established a dominant lead in the set and did not let the Terrapins (13-15, 5-11 Big Ten) take it away.

Maryland managed a lead in the third set. 

"We started a little flatter than we were hoping to," said junior defensive setter Jena Otec.

Despite the flat start, Purdue still pulled ahead to win the set.

"It just took us a little bit to figure out what they were doing and we adjusted our blocking, adjusted our back court defense and then started to get on a bit of a roll after that," Otec said.

As the Boilermakers played, they put an emphasis on their off-speed shots in an effort to put the Terrapins off balance.

"It never seems good when you tip (the ball) and they play really easy. Everybody thinks, 'Oh, what are we tipping for?' We should be hitting the ball hard, but still, sometimes as long as you put them off balance with an off-speed shot and win the rally, then that was a good shot," head coach Dave Shondell said.

In addition to more off-speed shots, Shondell cites the team's serves and lack of reception errors as a contributing factor to Purdue's win.

"We had zero reception errors tonight, so we didn't get aced at all," Shondell said.

Purdue will next play Rutgers at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in Holloway Gymnasium.