11/20/19 Rutgers, Team Celebration

Members of the volleyball team celebrate after fifth-year senior Blake Mohler recorded 1 of her 11.5 points. Mohler dominated the Rutgers blockers, scoring 10 kills on 17 attempts as Purdue beat Rutgers, 3-0.

After a successful weekend sweep, the Purdue volleyball team is looking to win during its last home game against Michigan.

Currently, the Boilermakers (19-7, 11-6 Big Ten) are ranked 17th in Division I volleyball and the Wolverines (19-8, 12-5) are 23rd.

“Right now, we’re the best passing team in the Big Ten,” head coach Dave Shondell said. “When other teams serve the ball to us, that first contact, we’re passing with more control than anyone else in the league.”

The Boilers play the Wolverines back to back, first at home and then on the road. This will allow both teams to play each other and have four days to prepare to play each other again without having to focus on other opponents.

“We’re going to definitely work on the things we take away from that game and carry that into when we travel there,” junior defensive specialist Jena Otec said.

In addition to being the last home game, this weekend also marks the senior night for the team. Seniors Blake Mohler and Shavona Cuttino will both leave big holes in the team after they leave.

“They weren’t (very) vocal leaders,” Shondell said. “They led by example, led by toughness, led by competing, and both of them got better over time.”