9/20/19 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Grace Cleveland

Sophomore outside hitter Grace Cleveland goes up for a kill against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Cleveland finished with 9 kills as well as 3 out of Purdue's 14 blocks. 

Purdue’s women’s volleyball team won every one of its games at the Stacey Clark Classic this weekend.

“It’s really motivating, and we’re ready to get after it,” said sophomore outside hitter Grace Cleveland.

In addition to having been a big weekend for the team, it was a big weekend for Cleveland, who broke four of her six personal records during the Saturday game against Eastern Michigan University. Cleveland credits her performance to her team and said that she, “could not have done it without them.”

This upcoming weekend marks the first Big Ten Conference games for the Boilermakers (8-1). After a successful at-home tournament, the team is ready for its away matchups against the University of Wisconsin and the University of Minnesota. Both teams have a winning record against Purdue, but the Boilermakers are turning the dial up to 11 to make sure they are ready.

The intensity in practices “has definitely been raised,” Cleveland said.

The team has spent the past week watching footage of themselves to find what needs to be improved. They’ve also been watching footage of the Wisconsin (4-4) and Minnesota (6-2) teams to analyze these two programs’ offensive and defensive strategies in order to prepare to face two of the toughest opponents in the regular season.

“I think that we’re going to continue to play well. I just think that this team is pretty good,” head coach Dave Shondell said. “I think we’ll play well at both places.”

Purdue beat Wisconsin when on the road in the past but has never won against Minnesota in an away game. This is set to be a tough weekend as the three teams are all ranked in the top 15.

“But we have to kind of change the history a little bit, start building a new tradition, per se,” Shondell said.

The Boilermakers take on the Wisconsin Badgers at 8 p.m. on Friday at the UW Field House in Madison, Wisconsin, and the Minnesota Gophers at 8 p.m. on Saturday at Maturi Pavilion in Minneapolis, Minnesota.