11/3/18 Indiana, Brooke Peters

Senior defensive specialist Brooke Peters bumps the ball Saturday night. Peters had 21 digs and 6 assists in the Purdue victory over rival IU, 3-2.

The Purdue volleyball team bested rival Indiana University to claim the Monon Spike Saturday night and extend their winning streak to seven games.

The No. 12-ranked Boilermakers (21-4, 10-4 Big Ten) defeated the Hoosiers (15-10, 6-8 Big Ten) in five barn-burning sets (25-22, 22-25, 25-18, 23-25, 15-12), earning the rivalry trophy for the 12th straight time.

Senior outside hitter Sherridan Atkinson led the match with 23 kills and two aces, in the second and fifth sets. Atkinson was also recognized at the match for reaching 1000 career kills during Purdue's match against then-No. 4 Penn State on October 27.

Freshman setter Hayley Bush also earned a double-double, tallying 58 assists and 17 digs during the match.

Purdue came out strong in the first set, maintaining at least a two-point lead throughout. The second set played out the other way around. 

The Boilers and Hoosiers traded points until IU jumped out to the lead, widening the gap to 11-20. Purdue worked to close the deficit, but the Hoosiers claimed the second set 25-22.

After that point, the match became neck-and-neck. Purdue and IU split the next two sets to bring the score to 2-2. The third set saw 10 tied scores and four lead changes, and the fourth set saw 16 tied scores and 10 lead changes.

The Boilermakers started the fifth set behind, falling to 1-4. However, Purdue rallied and jumped back out into the lead, finishing the set 15-12 and ending the match 3-2.

The volleyball squad heads out on the road again this weekend, playing No. 6-ranked Wisconsin on Friday, November 9 and No. 4-ranked Minnesota on Saturday, November 10. They will meet IU again on November 21 in Bloomington.