9/20/19 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Hayley Bush

Sophomore setter Hayley Bush leaps into the air to set up a teammate. Bush finished with 34 assists as well as six kills. 

The Purdue volleyball team opened the first day of the Stacy Clark Classic with a commanding three-set victory over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Friday morning. 

"I thought we played really well this morning," said head coach Dave Shondell. "What you saw is really odd in the sport of volleyball, that a team would go out and play at that high a level, with 15 different players against a team that came in with a 7-3 record."

Coming out to a fast start, senior middle hitter Blake Mohler recorded three kills and three blocks in the first set alone, leading the Boilermakers (6-1) to a 25-14 set win over the Islanders (7-4).

Mohler finished the match with nine kills and four blocks.

"After Wednesday night, I knew that I needed a confidence booster," said Mohler, who struggled personally in the Boilermakers' 3-2 win over Kentucky on Sept. 18.

"I just put in my mind that I was gonna continue to attack the ball and not let anyone stop me."

The second set, highlighted by offensive efforts from outside hitter Caitlyn Newton and middle hitter Shavona Cuttino, each picking up three kills, ended with Purdue on top yet again, 25-15. Blake Mohler put an end to the set with her seventh kill of the match. 

Newton, finishing the match with nine kills, was Purdue's most efficient scorer of the game, with a hit percentage of .818. 

Libero Jenna Otec recorded 14 digs defensively, and her performance was highlighted by a seven-serve streak in the third set, stretching the score to 9-1.

"She's getting better," Shondell said. "She has not played left back that long. ... But she made great progress, and she's getting more disciplined, and I couldn't be more happy with her."

While Purdue dominated in almost every aspect, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi's Madison Green refused to give up, recording six kills, and seven digs defensively. 

Mohler had two more kills in the third set, matching Newton's offensive output. The final point was decided by a high-effort recovery play by setter Joy Chen, followed by a kill from middle hitter Jael Johnson to end the match. 

Shondell described the team's performance as, "a masterpiece," but does not plan on dwelling on it for very long, as the Boilermakers prepare for their next match at 7:30 p.m. against the 5-4 Murray State Racers. 

Tags